Thursday, March 18, 2010

Black Bean and Avocado Brownies

I love avocados.  I love black beans.  I've just never had them in my desserts.  Okay, I lie.  I have had black beans in Khoa Lam - a sticky rice dessert popular in Thailand.

But now add in avocados, and I think I might be in heaven.  Here is a recipe that is very much worth trying for a sweet vegan dessert.  (I just won't tell my husband about the avocados.)

I first heard about these brownies from this blog which brought me to Cara's Cravings.  Look at her picture. I'm drooling.  Enjoy.


Black Bean and Avocado Brownies
 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 of a ripe avocado (60gm)
6 tbsp cocoa powder (30gm)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons white sugar (75gm)
2 teaspoons instant espresso

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.

Combine black beans, egg substitute, agave syrup, and avocado in food processor. Blend for a few minutes, until completely smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending until fully combined, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Spread into parchment-lined baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the brownies comes out clean.

These are best if you let them sit overnight before slicing and enjoying!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 98.0
Total Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 134.6 mg
Total Carbs: 19.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
Protein: 4.2 g

1 comments:

Lauren said...

I've been wanting to try these, thanks!

Lauren