Sunday, November 22, 2009

What I'm really making for a Vegan Thanksgiving!

So last night I was brainstorming what to make for Thanksgiving, but things seemed to change when I as at the store starving. I kinda changed gears, so I thought I would tell you all what I'll be bringing to Dave's parents house for Thanksgiving dinner.

- Roasted Garlic, Apple, and Butternut Squash Soup (my recipe)
- Wild Rice Medley (more like an experiment as each time I make this, it varies greatly depending on which veggies I have on hand)
- Sweet Potatoes (either just baked or a nice mash with cranberries)
- Avocado Kale Salad (recipe below)
- Vegan Chocolate pie (my recipes)

I'll post my recipes in a few days when I start preparing the food.

But to hold you over till then, here is an Avocado Kale Salad recipe from taken from Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Foods book. Ironically, last week when I was in Massachusetts, I was able to go to Alissa Cohen's newwest live food restaurant, Grezzo, in Newburyport. You can tweak this salad as you see fit. It is so yummy.

Raw Kale Avocado Salad

  • 1 head kale, shredded (I prefer the taste of curly kale for this one)
  • 1 cup tomato, chopped (fresh salsa is also delicious!)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or hemp seed oil (go for less if you can)
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • Celtic or Himalayan sea salt, to taste (1/4 – 1/2 t)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • For extra yummy…add 1-2 sheets untoasted nori (snip up with scissors into little bits)
  • Optional toppings: raisins, pine nuts, hemp seed nuts, sesame seeds

Preparation

In mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together. Mush everything together (with hands) to created marinated/wilted effect on kale. This makes it much tastier and easier to digest.

Also, here is a video of Karen Knowler, the raw food coach, preparing this dish on youtube.com.


0 comments: