Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'm attending MIT, Stanford, Yale and other Ivy League Schools for FREE!

READ. Free academic courses from IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES! I know, I know. How can you find time in your busy schedule to attend courses that aren't going to give you a Master's degree or help you get your undergrad? But why not make time!

Academic Earth is a website where you can take full university courses from Ivy League Universities in a wide range of topics. I feel if it is a course that I WANT to take and am not forced to take, I am more interested in it. Plus, I have all the time in the world to 'attend class.'

Currently, and for the past few months, I have been taking a Yale Literature course, The American Novel since 1945. Honestly, I've only listened to 1 out of 26 lectures so far, but I have read about 1/3 of the books on the list plus a couple I read while in college (although I will end up re-reading them).

I am so excited about my reading list, I just had to share.

Richard Wright - Black Boy
Flannery O'Connor - Wise Blood
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Jack Kerouac - On the Road
JD Salinger - Franny and Zooey
John Barth- Lost in the Funhouse
Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49
Toni Morrison - The Bluest Eyes
Maxine Hong Kingston - The Woman Warrior
Marilynne Robinson - Housekeeping
Carmec McCarthy - Blood Meridian
Philip Roth - The Human Stain
Edward P. Jones - The Known World
Jonathan Sanfran Foer - Everything is Illuminated

There are other sites out there like Academic Earth. Check out TED, which is a site that has "riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world" or iTunes U, which distributes digital lessons to the palm of your hand.

0 comments: